One woman's ale journey

A beery boozy journey with delightful snacks along the way and a book in my hand.

Tuesday 21 February 2017

Robinsons Old Tom


Old Tom has won both The World's Best Ale and Champion Beer of Britain and I absolutely love the old fashioned, almost medicinal, shaped bottle.  I actually came across it when we bought it for my Uncle Tom's birthday - one for him and one for me, of course!

They say that good things come in small packages so let's see what's hiding within the bottle.  Old Tom is a mouthwatering dark ale ark like Guinness but with more of a ruby tinge.  It definitely gives Guinness a run for its money in the thick robust head stakes - the head holds its form and leaves tremendous lacing that needs a scrubbing brush to get it off the glass.  The medicinal theme continues into the aroma which is sweet and spicy and reminds me of Coca Cola.

The oldies are certainly the goodies, with a delicious taste of dark treacle toffee and a lip smacking sweet aftertaste this is a Taste experience with a capital 'T'.  It's a shame it only comes in a 330ml bottle but then again at a whopping 8.5% it's not to be drunk lightly.

Simply divine and Ale definitely Be Seeing You Again!

Brewed by Robinsons Brewery, Stockport
8.5% ABV

My rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment